Josef Newgarden won the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday. After the race was red flagged for the third time in the final 16 laps, Josef Newgarden was moved from fourth to second on the straight by race control at which time the yellow flag was waved.
Josef Newgarden Indy 500 wins The Final Lap of the 107th
- Josef Newgarden had accomplished everything there was to achieve in the IndyCar Series by winning the Indianapolis 500.
- Newgarden passed Marcus Ericsson on the final lap to win the Indianapolis 500.
- Josef Newgarden had his first career Indy 500 win. He wins on the last lap.
- The field took the white flag and the green flag after Josef Newgarden restarted after a red flag with two laps to go.
- The Nashville native climbed on the back of his Team Penske teammate Ericsson.
- The 32-year-old made it to the backstretch with about a mile to go.
- Ericsson tried to make the final run but Newgarden was back at the start-finish line first.
- Newgarden ran through the opening of the fence into the frontstretch grandstands to celebrate with fans at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Newgarden said “I’m so grateful I started here as a fan in the crowd.
- Josef Newgarden’s first win came in his 12th career Indy 500 start.
Joseph Newgarden said “Everyone asked me why I didn’t win this race after that you look like you’re a failure you don’t win it I wanted to win it so bad I knew I could Huh”.
The race was red-flagged on lap 14 after Felix Rosenqvist and Kyle Kirkwood crashed in the lead pack. In which Kirkwood’s car overturned and skidded and stopped upside down. It was then red flagged again with 7 laps to go after Pato O’Ward crashed. A third red flag was shown with two laps to go after a multi-car accident in the midpack.